Welcome to Year 5
Mrs Hartley (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday)
Miss Rainford (Thursday, Friday)
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome the parents and carers of Year 5. We do hope you are looking forward to the journey your children are about to embark upon within UKS2 and wish your children success throughout their time with us.
In Year 5 we believe that school and home working together will help your child to get their most from their time in school and to reach their potential. To help build close links between the Year 5 staff team and parents/ carers, we operate an open door policy so please feel free to speak to us either at the beginning of the school day or at 3:00pm with any questions, worries or concerns. Alternatively longer appointments can be arranged at a more convenient time.
If you are interested in what we have planned for Year 5 this year, please use the links below to the class HAST forms and termly planning to discover more about our wonderful topics.
Reading at home
As promised at the curriculum meeting, here is a list of assessment focus questions you can ask your child during a reading session at home.
Please take the time to read through each and try to incorporate these questions into your reading sessions.
You can find all of the Year 5 spelling lists using the following link!
How can you help?
• Help your child learn their spellings and high frequency words.
• Read with your child daily and complete the Reading Record book.
• Provide your child with a water bottle.
• Remind your child to remove jewellery on PE days. (PE days can change so please ensure that a PE kit, labelled with your child’s name, is in school at all times.)
• Label all belongings and items of clothing with your child’s name.
• Help your child organise themselves to complete their homework. Homework is given out every Friday to be returned by the following Thursday.
• Talk to your child about their homework and what they are learning.
• Help your child recall their times table facts quickly and accurately.
• Ask your child if they asked any good questions today at school.
• Talk about everyday maths e.g. "If this box of cereal is half price how much will it be?"
Useful Links to use at home
https://www.theschoolrun.com/year-5 (This website asks for a subscription to access all areas but there is a lot of useful information that can be accessed for free without signing up for an account. At St Philip’s we DO NOT endorse this website or recommend signing up for their subscription services)