St Philip's Church of England

Controlled Primary School

Queries, Questions & Raising Concerns

Informal Stage


If a parent is concerned about anything to do with the education we are providing in our school, they should, in the first instance, discuss the matter with their child’s class teacher. Most matters of concern can be dealt with in this way. All teachers work extremely hard to ensure that each child is happy ay school, and is making good progress. They always want to know if there is a problem so that they can take appropriate action before the problem seriously affects the child’s progress. Where a parent feels that a situation has not been resolved through contact with the class teacher, or that their concern is of a sufficiently serious nature, they should make an appointment to discuss it with the Headteacher. The Headteacher will consider such complaint very seriously and investigates each case thoroughly. Most complaints are normally resolved at this stage. If a parent feels the need for further action, she should contact the Chair of Governors through the school. The Chair will do all he/she can to resolve the issue through dialogue with the school but if a parent is unhappy with the outcome, he/she can make a formal complaint as outlined below.


Formal Stage


Only if an informal complaint to the Chair of Governors fails to resolve the matter should a formal complaint be made to the Governing Body. This complaint must be in writing, stating the nature of the complaint and how the school has handled it so far. The written complaint should be sent to the school marked “For the Attention of the Governing Body”. If the complaint is still not resolved, a parent can contact the Local Authority at the Town Hall, Oriel Road, Bootle, L20 7AE. Tel: 0151 922 4040. If any parent is still not satisfied that the complaint has been dealt with properly, he/she is entitled to appeal to the Secretary of State for Education.